Sunday, May 8, 2011

Thank You For


Thank you:

For holding me close when I was afraid of bad dreams.
For letting me sleep in your bed. 
For making me brave enough go back to my own. 
For tucking me in extra tight.
For leaving the hall light on and my door open a crack.

For teaching me that God is everywhere.

For holding me closer when the bad dreams turned real.
For all of the times when you thought that nothing you could possibly say would ever console me.
For watching me run away from home when it got to be too much. 
For falling asleep at the kitchen table until I came back.  
For being the only one to ever look me in the eye when I felt invisible.
For reminding me that I exist. 

For driving me across town every morning to get me to school. 
For sitting through 4 hour choir concerts when I didn't have a solo.
For applauding mediocre musicals when I only had two lines.
For being proud anyway.   
For allowing me to love art more than almost anything else in the world.
For learning to communicate in whatever language I was speaking.

For turning a blind eye when I wasn’t ready to talk about it. 
For accepting me when I was in love.
For suggesting that we keep it between us "just for now".
For biting your tongue when I overruled that decision.
For welcoming us to your table.
For signing greeting cards “Love, Mom and Dad” on his behalf thereafter.
For pretending I didn’t notice. 

For letting me make my own mistakes.
For making me think that the walk off the cliff would be painless.
For trying to catch me from down below.
For not saying "I told you so" when I was bruised and broken.   
For making me a grilled cheese sandwich to dry my tears.
For making me another.
For laughing about it later.
For waiting until later to laugh.

For somehow always knowing.  

For living with.
For living without. 
For not making it seem like there was a difference.  

For the truest love that I will ever understand.      

2 comments: