Monday, November 19, 2012

Personal Error 404


I am to be remembered as nothing more than wallpaper on your desktop. 

Initially, you were quite pleased with your selection.  My aesthetic was complimentary, perhaps; I seemed bold and iconic.  Nevertheless, I was far more defined than the factory settings, which ultimately led to the marriage of copy and paste.  That cemented my achievement in your world as a proclamation of who you saw yourself to be. 

Several thousand glances later, and I remain.  The chaos of cluttered icons have begun to dot our landscape.   Our shared experience becomes routine; eventually, altogether ignored.   Instead of looking to me or at me, you’re merely looking through. 

Inevitably, you will look up from your keyboard and minimize the world of distractions that have long since covered my image.  You’re bound to discover that my pixilation has begun to show. While all the other pictures in your life have changed, I have been hidden, but remained the same.  When the question of my existence arises, you will be unsure of whether you have comfort or complacency to blame.

It is undeniable that you will forget what you ever saw in the first place.  I won’t blame you.  It is impossible for one to observe the same image for every day in their life with the same regard to its brilliance and sheen. 

When you get around to it, the image will change.  It is our destiny that I will be neither observed nor ignored.  I will simply cease to be.  Until then, I remain; only one click away from a blank screen. 
 __________________________________________________

The first time I kissed you, I thought I’d never catch my breath.  I could taste the magic on your tongue and you graciously denied the taste of acid on mine. 

The last time I kissed you, you were already asleep.  I hoped that you might stir, but you let me walk out the room, gently mourning our collective loss.  

No comments:

Post a Comment